UCSF Benioff Children’s Physicians (UBCP) is a multispecialty physician foundation, and an associated clinically integrated network [CIN]. Our primary goal is to foster physician collaboration to deliver the most advanced pediatric care throughout Northern California and beyond. We have Pediatric and Women’s health clinics located throughout the San Francisco Bay area.
Pediatric After Hours is a very dynamic department that operates every day of the year, including Holidays. The team works collaboratively with our physician partners in San Francisco and the East Bay to provide this valuable pediatric after hours care to the community. This recruitment is for a part-time position that will work side by side with pediatricians to provide outstanding support performing a variety of receptionist and front desk patient-related duties, including but not limited to, answering phones, scheduling appointments, paging doctors when necessary, checking in patients, receiving co-pays and faxing. If you’re looking for an alternative work schedule, this position is ideal for a professional who wants to be part of a very dynamic and supportive working environment. Please note this position will work evenings, weekends and holidays. We are open 7 days a week, including all holidays.
SF Hours of Operation:
Weekends & Holidays: 9:00am-9:30pm
East Bay Hours of operation:
Weekends & Holidays: 9:00am-6:00pm
Mondays – 5:45pm-9:30pm
*Weekends & holidays have three different shifts available in both of our clinics. Scheduling is done one month in advance.
The Patient Service Representative is the initial point of contact for our patients and also the community based physicians. The incumbent must possess exceptional customer service skills and have a desire to work in the public eye. Communication skills are key, you will be expected to communicate clearly with parents, physicians and your team, with an emphasis on keeping the patient at the center of the conversation.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Service Standards: Demonstrated ability to remain professional, even when working through difficult situations, support the vision of the Care Center and the core values of UCSF Benioff Children’s Physicians.
- Essential Functions:
- Answers phones professionally and warmly to assist all callers with their healthcare objectives.
- Receives patients at the care center. Tasks include: providing information about clinical services, insurance and payment policies; patient’s registration; processing new patient paperwork; collecting copays; and following up with patients for payment /insurance information when necessary.
- Attends to physician and practitioner needs to support patient care and practice development.
- Schedules and confirms appointments. Monitors schedule frequently for capacity.
- Attends to billing corrections in a timely fashion. Asks for assistance as needed to expedite patient concerns as quickly as possible.
- Distributes incoming paper lab results and scans records into patient chart on a daily basis, as directed by the Supervisor.
- Helps maintain office supplies, equipment and general office systems.
- Technical Skills
- Effectively utilizes Electronic Health Record (E.H.R.), Microsoft outlook and MS Office Suite.
- Takes a proactive view of daily and weekly clinician schedules, fills openings via the waiting lists and through requesting patient names from clinicians. Works diligently to keep clinicians’ schedules full.
- Keeps patient demographics and insurance information accurate and up-to-date in in the EHR.
- Provides friendly, knowledgeable and responsive internal and external customer service. Sets appropriate expectations for patient and staff like.
- Reminds patients of their appointments 72 hours in advance and on a daily basis or as needed, defined by the department workflow.
- Checks voicemail throughout the day and returns patient calls the same day and no later than 24-hours.
- Utilizes EHR to communicate about appointment details. Keeps other administrative team members well-informed of any patient(s) or physicians(s) needs, schedule changes, etc.
- Keeps Supervisor informed of customer compliments, complaints, or problems / critical issues with clinical services in a timely manner.
- Maintains current knowledge of all physicians and services of the practice.
- Consistently extends a professional, warm environment by using a pleasant tone of voice and maintaining composure at all times.
- Attends staff meetings and other office meetings, as required.
- Holds self and peers accountable to uphold the Standards of Behavior regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, religious affiliation, disability, socioeconomic background, education, sexual orientation, marital status, gender, age or position.
- UBCP Citizenship
- Adheres to all UCSF Benioff Children’s Physicians policies and procedures (i.e. Administrative and Human Resources), practices safe work habits, and engages in good business standards and practices.
- Respects and is sensitive to cultural diversity, patient care, patient rights and ethical treatment, safety and security of physical environments, teamwork, and demonstrates respect for others.
- Other Job Functions:
- Complies with all HIPAA regulation and UBCP standards of patient confidentiality.
- Accepts and performs other job related duties, projects and responsibilities, as required.
The essential functions listed are typical examples of work performed in this job classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. This position may also perform other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma
Medical Assistant Certification
We offer competitive compensation including a generous Paid Time Off (PTO) plan.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UCSF Benioff Children’s Physicians (UBCP) is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics) or any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law. Our commitment to equal opportunity employment applies to all persons involved in our operations and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee, including supervisors and co-workers.