Provides pharmaceutical care for patients in a specialty clinical area. Supports professional development of clinical pharmacists, students and/or residents.
- Provides comprehensive clinical pharmacy services to a specialty patient population, including participation in interdisciplinary team rounds, selection and dosing of medication therapies, therapeutic drug monitoring and adjustment of drug therapies.
- Reviews, interprets and evaluates medication orders to optimize pharmacotherapy during order verification or entry in the electronic health record.
- Performs and documents clinical activities/interventions and their outcomes for use in drug therapy quality improvement efforts.
- Reviews literatures, develops and deliver evidence-based drug information and education to multidisciplinary team and patients.
- Serves as subject-matter expert for specialty patient population. Contributes expertise to multidisciplinary committees/teams in specialty area. Activities include but are not limited to developing protocols/guidelines, medication use evaluations (MUEs), formulary reviews, and order sets.
- Improves organizational performance by identifying and implementing clinical and/or safety initiatives
- Serves as a preceptor and resource to the pharmacists, pharmacy interns and students. Provides continuing education programs and assist in the development and implementation of educational opportunities.
- Actively participates in the development, implementation and ongoing coordination of pharmacy residency research projects and/or mentors the resident in the preparation of posters, local, regional or national presentations, or publications.
Competencies and skills:
- STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR: Acts in a manner that supports the standards of communication, respect, privacy, and teamwork by demonstrating a commitment to professional and ethical conduct.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Demonstrates commitment to service excellence by promptly addressing internal/external customer issues/requests, resolving concerns while maintaining a professional image and behavior to build and enhance the patient/family/customer experience.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Accepts ownership of job roles and specific assignments/goals; works independently, takes responsibility for own actions; admits mistakes and judgment errors; and accepts constructive feedback. Connects personal work results to the accomplishment of team and organizational goals.
- RESPONDING TO CHANGE: Accepts change and adapts in a positive and productive manner; handles unexpected situations and changes in direction calmly and with confidence. Views new assignments and job responsibilities as an opportunity for growth.
- DRUG INFORMATION AND PATIENT EDUCATION: Designs and delivers drug information and patient education.
- CLINICAL INTERVENTIONS – PHARMACOLOGY: Performs pharmacological clinical interventions and clinical problem solving.
- PHARMACEUTICAL CARE: Provides pharmaceutical care to patients.
- MEDICATION SAFETY: Utilizes processes and techniques to promote medication safety.
- PATIENT AND FAMILY CENTERED CARE: “Provides Patient and Family Centered Care to patients, families, visitors and internal customers”
- Accredited Program
- Pharmacist License – FL
Education equivalent experience:
- Doctor of Pharmacy or BS in pharmacy from an accredited School of Pharmacy
Complexity of Work: Requires critical thinking skills, effective communication skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
Required Work Experience: PGY2 residency or PGY1 residency/fellowship plus one (1) year of clinical experience in a specialty area or PGY1 residency/fellowship plus active board certification. Alternatively, active board certification plus three (3) years of clinical experience in a specialty area.
- Bending and Stooping 60.00%
- Climbing 40.00%
- Keyboard Entry 100.00%
- Kneeling 40.00%
- Lifting/Carrying Patients 35 Pounds or Greater 40.00%
- Lifting or Carrying 0 – 25 lbs Non-Patient 80.00%
- Lifting or Carrying 25.01 lbs – 75 lbs Non-Patient 60.00%
- Pushing or Pulling 0 – 25 lbs Non-Patient 60.00%
- Pushing or Pulling 26 – 75 lbs Non-Patient 60.00%
- Pushing or Pulling > 75 lbs Non-Patient 40.00%
- Reaching 80.00%
- Repetitive Movement Hand/Arm 80.00%
- Running 60.00%
- Sitting 80.00%
- Squatting 80.00%
- Standing 80.00%
- Walking 80.00%
- Audible Speech 80.00%
- Hearing Acuity 80.00%
- Smelling Acuity 60.00%
- Depth Perception 80.00%
- Distinguish Color 80.00%
- Seeing – Far 80.00%
- Seeing – Near 80.00%
- Bio hazardous Waste 80.00%
- Biological Hazards – Respiratory 40.00%
- Biological Hazards – Skin or Ingestion 40.00%
- Blood and/or Bodily Fluids 40.00%
- Communicable Diseases and/or Pathogens 60.00%
- Cytotoxic Chemicals 80.00%
- Dust 80.00%
- Gas/Vapors/Fumes 60.00%
- Hazardous Chemicals 80.00%
- Hazardous Medication 80.00%
- Latex 80.00%
- Computer Monitor 100.00%
- Domestic Animals 40.00%
- Fire Risk 40.00%
- Heating Devices 40.00%
- Magnetic Fields 60.00%
- Moving Mechanical Parts 80.00%
- Needles/Sharp Objects 80.00%
- Potential Electric Shock 40.00%
- Potential for Physical Assault 40.00%
- Radiation 40.00%
- Wet or Slippery Surfaces 60.00%
Memorial Hospital West opened in 1992 with 100 beds to serve the growing population of western Broward. Today, the hospital has 384 beds and is one of the busiest and most technologically advanced in the region.
Memorial Hospital West’s many respected specialty programs include:
- Medical and Surgical Services
- Adult and Pediatric Emergency Departments
- Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute
- Memorial Cancer Institute
- Blood and Marrow Transplant Program, including Broward County’s first adult inpatient autologous transplant unit
- Memorial Neuroscience Institute
- Memorial Rehabilitation Institute
- Bariatric/Weight-Loss Surgery Program
- The Family Birthplace
- Women’s Services
Truven Health Analytics and Modern Healthcare magazine named Memorial Hospital West one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals in 2013 and 2014 – and the hospital has been consistently recognized by The Leapfrog Group with an “A” Ranking for Patient Safety.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended, nor should it be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification.